Wednesday, February 8, 2017

And they said 2 a.m checks would eventually stop.....

Leaving the hospital after diagnosis. 

The nurses at the hospital told me as we were wheeling my son out to go home after diagnosis that after a few months the night time checks would be far and few between each other. For one, they were wrong, and that's ok!  
I am tired! Physically and emotionally but sleep isn't as precious as my child's life. 
Low blood sugars are scary. Probably one of the most scariest things a diabetic can go through.
I never stoped checking at midnight and two am. I probably will never until he's on his own and even then I'll be that mom who calls or texts to remind him. 
When you are a parent of a diabetic life is on hold for you. Sleep is not previlant anymore. And again, that's ok. 
So when the nurses said it would eventually ease up and nighttime testing would be no more,i knew that was not going to happen for me.. I've mastered being a zombie, I've mastered testing him without making a noise to wake him up, and I've been able to give him a shot without him even flinching. 
Nightime testing is and will always be a constant thing even though we were told it wasn't necessary. 
Glucogon is a required thing to carry for emergency lows when food or drink isn't helping, or they are unresponsive. I hope to never crack that bad boy out it's the scariest needle I've ever seen in my life. I retrain myself with expired ones every so often and I cringe. Not only do I not want to use that on him, I don't want to lose my child at night. I will always be tired, stressed out And drained but knowing my child is alive is the only thing that matters so two years later I'm still up like clock work at midnight (usually I stay awake past this) 2 am, 4 am and 6am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment